Who better to bring us the History of Thanksgiving than the History Channel? This is a really in depth site on the history behind the Thanksgiving holiday. You’ll find the following sections:
- First Thanksgiving: Here you can learn all about the food that was eaten on the first Thanksgiving, including some interesting surprises, like seal and swan. You can also learn about their eating habits and even their table manners. Be sure to check out the Pilgrims Menu (which only becomes visible when you’ve clicked into the First Thanksgiving section).
- Mayflower Myths: Here you can read some commonly believed myths about the pilgrims who came over on the Mayflower and find out what really happened.
- Pilgrim Interviews: Plimoth Plantation is a living history museum where you can interact with people portraying the pilgrims. Here you can listen to the interviews with Myles Standish and Ellinor Billington where they answer questions about the first feast. You can also read the text transcripts to the interviews.
- Proclamation: This section has a Thanksgiving proclamation from 1782. It’s pretty neat to see what was passed down to people on the holiday back then.
- Video: History of Thanksgiving: Here you can watch several videos about the History of Thanksgiving. There’s even a video quiz at the end.
- Resources: Here you can follow links to the resources that all this bountiful information has come from and do a little more exploring on your own.